SettingsBuy a book
Settings can be changed in two ways. If the default setting changes are made when open any document, they will affect only the document. After closing all options will get their initial values. If you reopen the document, the settings go back to making early changes. These settings are called document settings are always included in the document, whether to make any changes or not.
In each of the applications can access the settings dialog box, and at the time when none of the documents is not open. In this case, after setting values are permanent and apply to all documents that are created in this program. Here we are dealing with the application settings; the trick is to set them up as efficiently as possible to the conditions of your work.
Start XPress, PageMaker, or InDesign, without having to open any document or creating a new one. Explore the menu and floating palettes. Menu commands Palettes and buttons that are not grayed out, most likely, and there are those elements that can be configured. Since each program there are hundreds of possible settings, I will focus only on those that can significantly affect the performance of your work.
Recommended settings in QuarkXPress
Of the three programs under consideration install QuarkXPress layout pages of the most flexible; they can be set up as close to the specified requirements. This is confirmed by the fact that QuarkXPress is still considered the most serious program layout documents, although recent improvements in PageMaker (to say nothing of InDesign) significantly changed this notion.
You can access the dialog box Application Preferences by selecting the command Edit → Preferences → Application. Available settings are presented on four different tabs: Display (type), Interactive, Save and the XTensions. (This is in some contradiction to what has been said above, but, regardless of the existence of an open document, the modified settings will be used by default).
On the Display tab, select the following options.
- Check the Full-Screen option Documents (Displaying documents in full screen) for each square centimeter of the monitor.
- If your computer is not too powerful, select the drop-down lists Color TIFFs (Color images in TIFF format) and Gray TIFFs (Gray TIFF images) smallest values. This provides a more rapid renewal of the screen; correct to assume that in this case the color and tone correction in XPress will be performed. layout programs are not intended to change the color. (More detailed information on the correction of color drawings, see chapter “Scanning and tuning of color images“).
- Install the Smart Quotes check box option in the Format drop-down list (format), select one of the standard types of printing quotes. If you need to enter the marks inches and feet, hold down the <Ctrl> key while the introduction of an apostrophe.
- To increase the area around the screen displayed on the page (Pasteboard Width (width of the pasteboard)), you need to install additional software (InDesign to such a possibility). Not so long ago in the industry prepress documents began to actively use Pasteboard XT extension. Using earlier versions of this program has led to certain problems. Although she did allow to increase the area to the right and left of the document, opening a file on your computer, which is not the extension has been established, it proved impossible. In later versions, this problem was solved, but I suggest using a different extension – Pasteboard XTerminator. It does not allow to expand the timeline, but if you’re working with client files, the need for such an increase is not at all. XTerminator simply removes traces of the original expansion Pasteboard XT in the system, if any. Programs from the family Pasteboard are available for free download from the Web-site: www. Markzware. com.
On the Save tab, make the following settings.
- Clear the check box option Autosave and the Autobackup. From my own experience, I can say that these funds can lead to errors in the program. Therefore, when the automatic saving is very probable regular data loss.
- Tick the options Auto Library Save. If you use the image library, then whenever it has been added or removed objects, saving the libraries is done automatically.
- On the tab, set the Xtensions When switch and set Error Loading XTensions Occur option box. Now, XTensions Manager window – a dialog box control when you start the program loads the extension, it will appear only in cases where the extension can not be loaded. For example, if you try to use an extension, compatible only with version 3.32 of the program, it will display a warning about inaccessibility of its functions.
You can access the dialog box Document Preferences can be selected when you select Edit → Preferences → Document. Available settings are presented in five different tabs: General, Paragraph, Character, Tool and Trapping. (Although XPress these settings are marked as belonging to the document, when none of the documents are not open, they are in fact the application parameters).
On the General tab, make the following settings.
- Default settings for the Vertical Measures (Units vertical) and Horisontal Measures (Units horizontal) selected values Inches. Change them to more accurate (and close to the printer used) Points by (points) or Picas (Cicero). Many reject point and pica in favor of inches or millimeters, considering that conventional units are only printed rat or elitist snobs of the art schools. However, if you start to use them, return to their original units of measurement will be a challenge. Ask yourself, is not it easier to think about the subject is moving at 14 pt (points) than 0.488 millimeters (0.194 inches)?
- The Framing (framing) list, select Inside (Inside). This parameter adjusts the location of the frame to be added to the block of text or graphics; it is given its position inside or outside the window (as opposed to a graphical program, wherein the frame located on either side of them). Placement within the framework ensures the correct placement of it imported high-resolution images. Furthermore, since in most cases, used black frame, a special function will prevent XPress multicolored halos around it occurring when using cyan, magenta or yellow ink.
- Select Guides in the list (Guides) value In Front (front). Rather difficult to operate the guide if they all overlap, that is on the page.
- In the Auto Picture Import (Automatic import figures) select Off. If this option is enabled, it will be executed automatically update all changed in the document images. When you perform the update manually, you can be sure that any changes made in the document will not pass unnoticed.
Tab Tool requires a little more attention, because it shows some options, for which the default values can irritate more than others. Choosing instruments in turn, can change the properties available to them by clicking on the Modify button.